[Dovecot] Tuning Login processes for High-performance Mode

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 20 07:32:27 EET 2011

On 16.12.2011, at 14.06, Alessio Cecchi wrote:

> I'm working for tuning a busy cluster of dovecot servers. Heach server as 4 core, 8GB of RAM and provide POP3 and IMAP access to mailbox. OS is Debian 6.0 and dovecot version is 1.2.15.
>
> I am unsure how to set "login_max_processes_count" and "login_max_connections" for reach the best situation when login_process_per_connection is set to no.

They need to be high enough to handle all the concurrent login / SSL connections.

> I don't know what value to set login_max_processes_count.

This doesn't matter so much as login_processes_count. In normal operation the login_processes_count should be around 1-2x of the number of CPU cores. There's no reason to create more processes, so the login_max_process_count might as well be the same as login_processes_count. The login_max_connections then just needs to be high enough.