[Dovecot] Calculation of suggested vsz_limit values

Robin dovecot at r.paypc.com
Tue Dec 20 08:45:50 EET 2011

Timo <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> Not really. For mail related processes (imap, pop3, lmtp) you could
> find the largest dovecot.index.cache file and make sure that
> vsz_limit is at least 3 times that.

Yikes.  Aside from forcing users to "prune" mailboxes, what do you
suggest when vsz_limit exceeds available host RAM?

I ran across another "RAM only" process in fts_squat for a large, but
not *HUGE* mailbox when the size of the dovecot.index.search.uids file
got larger than 600MB.

There's no mitigation for these problems other than "buying more RAM" or
getting users to delete/file their emails?

I was quite shocked to hit these limits so early - there was no mention
of RAM resource requirements in the Dovecot documentation I'd perused. :(

=R=