[Dovecot] Question about index reset in dovecot 2.0.15

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 20 12:49:18 EET 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 22:10 +0100, Maria Arrea wrote:
> I have seen some strange error log messages in our dovecot server (2.0.15, RHEL 5.7x64, mdbox+zlib, local storage, high load)
>
>  Dec 14 22:01:27 buzon dovecot: imap(fmcarrasco): Error: /indices_dovecot/indices/07/47/fmcarrasco/mailboxes/INBOX/dovecot.index reset, view is now inconsistent
>  Dec 14 22:00:27 buzon dovecot: imap(cfp): Error: /indices_dovecot/indices/16/58/cfp/mailboxes/Sent/dovecot.index reset, view is now inconsistent

These messages shouldn't appear alone. Is there anything else logged about them?

>  Dec 14 20:56:46 buzon dovecot: imap(rcam): Error: Corrupted index cache file /indices_dovecot/indices/03/6b/rcam/mailboxes/INBOX/dovecot.index.cache: Broken virtual size for mail UID 132197

Possibly related to zlib.. Again it should have logged another error
message just before this.

>  Dec 14 21:50:38 buzon dovecot: imap(cfp): Error: Recent flags state corrupted for mailbox INBOX

Possibly related to other errors.

So .. none of the errors above really were what I'd call the actual
cause of the problems. They were just after effects.

>  I have been googling without luck, why does this happen? I have tried with doveadm force-resync, maybe this could solve this issues.

All of those should be fixed automatically. Do they keep happening if
you don't do force-resync? How often do they happen anyway? Do they
happen at any specific times (e.g. during doveadm purge)?