[Dovecot] Corrupted index cache file and high CPU usage

hydra hydrapolic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 18:06:47 EET 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com>wrote:

> On 12/22/2011 8:08 AM, hydra wrote:
> > Hello Timo, thank you for the reply. I was suspecting the same. However:
> > - the machine runs under Vmware,
> > - I've tried 3 different kernel versions,
> > - I've tried 3 different SCSI controllers.
> >
> > All same results.
>
> dmesg output?  Log errors?

Nothing there

> Is your EXT4 filesystem on a VMFS volume or an RDM (SAN LUN)?

VMFS

> > On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> >
> >> On 21.12.2011, at 18.38, hydra wrote:
>
> >> That's a kernel process..

> >> When
>
> System (host machine) reboot, or virtual machine reboot doesn't fix the
> problem?  FYI, Linux doesn't unmount drives, it unmounts filesystems.

After the virtual machine reboot, the CPU usage is normal again, but just
until doveadm is launched again (it was run from cron). Sorry for the
partition/drive terminology mess up.

> I'd say you may have a problem with your VMFS volume or RDM, or maybe
> just your EXT4 filesystem.  Have you run an fsck on it?  What result?

A normal system reboot wasn't possible, because the ext4 fs wasn't
unmounted (and it wasn't possible to unmount the fs nor run sync - both
locked up) and thus I had to reboot from the vSphere Client. After the
reboot, fsck placed the fs to a consistent state, however the problem
occurred the next morning, when doveadm from the cron was run again. So a
fsck didn't help.

> Or, as Timo suggests, could be a kernel bug.  Or an interaction of these
> low level layers causing a problem.  If you can't unmount a filesystem,
> that has nothing to do with Dovecot, and points to a much larger, more
> critical, problem.
>
> Do you have this problem when booting an older kernel?  Say 2.6.32?
>  2.6.37?

The oldest available kernel is 2.6.32 so I'm going to test it.

Thank you :)