[Dovecot] crashes on 2.0.16

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Dec 23 00:49:30 EET 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 09:22 +0100, Cor Bosman wrote:

> > This also is not the kernel list, since updating to a kernel released in
> > the 21st century Cor's issue has gone away, so this thread is now rather
> > entirely pointless on the Dovecot list.  So I'll my participation in
>
> Actually, it hasn't. For the last few days we've been trying to pinpoint the problem by running half a dozen servers with different kernels and options. This 'kernel released in the 20th century'  we have this problem with is the current stable kernel for debian. So instead of starting a distro war (and I thought canon/nikon, mac/pc were bad),  lets be a bit more constructive. Plenty of people use the stable debian release.

Ahh OK, your previous message said it was resolved, did the traceback
show anything?

> It's happening on about half of our imap servers (20 or so), but on none of our other debian servers (hundreds).  So it's not so weird to suspect a dovecot link. But it looks like it may be a driver issue on a specific range of hardware we use.

maybe install a slackware or gentoo box and add it into the farm and see
if same problem exists there as well, if so, clearly dovecot, if not,
clearly debian, its why I still keep a RHEL box handy, it sits attached
to the "dev" unit until I need it to assist to prove/disprove something.

All the best.