[Dovecot] mbox, hierarchical folders/folders and IMAP

Alexander Chekalin achekalin at lazurit.com
Sat Dec 24 18:26:49 EET 2011

Stan, thank you for the reply,

But I believe I obey this rule: I create "folder with ONLY folders inside", then in it another "folder with ONLY folders inside", and the into this second folder I create "folder with ONLY messages inside" (the path is "oldmail/lists/dovecot", and oldmail and lists are folders in filesystem, while dovecot is mbox container in filesystem).

My problem is I can not understand which way should I create "folder with ONLY folders inside", and which way to create messages-only folder, going down to IMAP protocol commands. PHP for example looks like use only one command to create a mailbox, no difference what type of it I need.

I understand PHP isn't the only script language to deal with IMAP, so I seek for advice how IMAP works with on protocol level.