[Dovecot] Compressing existing maildirs

Dovecot-GDH ghandidrivesahumvee at rocketfish.com
Thu Dec 29 01:56:33 EET 2011

The cleanest (though not necessarily simplest) way to go about this would be to use dsync to create a new maildir and incrementally direct traffic to a separate Dovecot instance.

Unless you have a legacy application that relies on maildir, switching to mdbox would be a good idea too.

I expect that with Dovecot compression is something that can "just be turned on", but for fear of any possible issue, I chose to migrate mailboxes in batches with the way mentioned above.