[Dovecot] How to serve a subset of IMAP folders for hand held devices.

Thu Dec 29 14:07:30 EET 2011

On 2011-12-28 5:05 PM, David Pottage <david at electric-spoon.com> wrote:
> Secondly creating a second account makes the authentication on the
> server a lot more complex. Either I need two OS level accounts on
> the sever, and find ways to keep them in sync, or I need to create a
> custom authentication method on dovecot or PAM so that when it
> receives a user-name matching some pattern, it will check the
> password against a different account.

It would be cool if the concept of 'Master User' could be expanded on to
provide access to only certain other accounts, as opposed to full
domains (or maybe it does alreaqdy and I just don't understand it well
enough yet).

For example, we have Sales Assistants in our offices, where each
assistant may assist up to 3 or 4 different Sales reps. It would be nice
to be able to give the Assistant read-only access to the Sales Reps
emails without having to set up shared folders for each one...

--

Best regards,

Charles