[Dovecot] dsync / separator / namespace config-problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 29 15:10:20 EET 2011

On 29.12.2011, at 13.14, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:

> Guess I don't quite get namespaces, but we have the following namespace
> configured:
>
> 	$ doveconf namespace
> 	namespace {
>  		hidden = no
>  		inbox = yes
>  		list = yes
>  		location =
>  		prefix = INBOX.
>  		separator =
>  		subscriptions = yes
>  		type = private
> 	}

Since separator is empty, it defaults to whatever the mailbox format's internal separator is.

> But when I try running dsync it complains:
>
> 	$ sudo -u atmail dsync   -u janfrode at tanso.net mirror mdbox:/tmp/janfrodeboks
> 	dsync(atmail): Error: user janfrode at tanso.net: Initialization failed: namespace configuration error: list=yes requires prefix=INBOX. to end with separator dsync(atmail): Fatal: User init failed

With mdbox the internal separator is '/', but it's not valid to have "INBOX." prefix then (it should be "INBOX/").

> I can fix this by adding "separator = ." to the namespace and dsync is
> happy, but is changing this now safe, or will this affect existing clients?

Since you were using Maildir, which uses '.' as the default separator, setting this explicitly won't break anything.