[Dovecot] How to serve a subset of IMAP folders for hand held devices.

David Pottage david at electric-spoon.com
Thu Dec 29 23:54:57 EET 2011

On 28/12/11 22:12, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> It's a smart phone. Have you considering simply running a webmail server?
I considered it for about 10 seconds.

Webmail is much less efficent than IMAP both for the server and the
client. I run SquirrelMail on (on Apache) my server, and it consumes far
more CPU and RAM than Dovecot. It is also much slower in most operations
compared with IMAP. Though I have not measured it, I suspect the
bandwidth consumption is much higher because of HTML mark-up and images.

In any case, webmail would not solve the problem of too many folders
being displayed. I would get just as long a list, with a hard to use
scrollbar, but rendered as html instead of in a menu.

--
David Pottage