[Dovecot] How to serve a subset of IMAP folders for hand held devices.

David Pottage david at electric-spoon.com
Fri Dec 30 00:02:09 EET 2011

On 28/12/11 22:21, Rick Romero wrote:

> Quoting David Pottage <david at electric-spoon.com>:
>> Firstly I wanted to retain the option to switch to the full version of
>> my mail folders if I needed to access something urgently. My smart-phone
>> based email client allows me to change the port number of an existing
>> email account, but will not allow me to change the user-name without
>> creating a whole new account and re-downloading everything.
>
> I read back through the thread, and I don't see why you're not using
> IMAP subscriptions - did I overlook it?

If you mean subscriptions on the smartphone client, I was not using them
because the first IMAP client I was using (native email on a Palm Pre)
did not support them.

I have since switched to an Android phone and started using K9, but I
still find it helpful to filter the list of folders that that K9 sees as
I don't want a huge list with an unmanageable scrollbar, and many of the
folders are archive folders that will never contain anything current, so
it makes no sense to make them accessible except through a desktop client.

I am not saying my solution is the only possible solution but I do think
it is worth recording in the Wiki as others may find my approach useful.

--
David Pottage