[Dovecot] can't get sieve to sort virus into spam

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 04:37:59 EET 2011

On 11/29/2011 03:00 AM, Stephan Bosch wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 4:09 AM, Duane Hill wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 02:28:29 UTC, seandarcy2 at gmail.com
>> confabulated:
>>
>>> I can't get sieve to put virus files in the SPAM folder.
>
>>> does not end up into SPAM, or anyplace else, including inbox.
>
>>> How do I make this work?
>> What gets logged? If sieve has an issue storing something, it is
>> logged.
>
> The message must be stored somewhere, even if Sieve fails entirely. If
> your Dovecot logs provide no indication that a message was handled, are
> you even sure that LTMP is getting a message at all? In this regard your
> MTA's logs are of importance as well.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephan.

Thanks for your response. I solved the disappearing problem: the message
is being put into the INBOX.

There are no user sieve scripts. Is there a way to disable any that
could occur?

Here are the headers:

--000e0cd5712cced62c04b2fe370e

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Here's default.sieve:
cat  /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
require "fileinto";
if header :contains "X-DSPAM-Result" "Virus" {
   fileinto "Virus";
}

if header :contains "X-DSPAM-Result" "Spam" {
   fileinto "SPAM";
}

 From dovecot-info.log:

Nov 30 21:25:43 auth: Debug: master in: USER    1       firstlast@<>.com
        service=lmtp    lip=127.0.0.1   lport=24        rip=127.
0.0.1   rport=35594
Nov 30 21:25:43 auth: Debug: passwd(firstlast@<>,127.0.0.1): lookup
Nov 30 21:25:43 auth: Info: passwd(firstlast@<>,127.0.0.1): unknown user
Nov 30 21:25:43 auth: Debug: passwd-file(firstlast@<>.com,127.0.0.1):
lookup: user=firstlast@<>.com file=/etc/dovecot/users
Nov 30 21:25:43 auth: Debug: master out: USER   1       firstlast@<>.com
        uid=504 gid=504 home=/home/vmail/<>.com/firstlas
Nov 30 21:25:43 lmtp(12609, firstlast@<>.com): Info:
Av/jFKfl1k5BMQAABoXEcA:
msgid=<CA+SwxUix1Y5GCZ89vMWpEmcfuEwxxR61wWKGvr=+pafJ05Dh_w@
mail.gmail.com>: saved mail to INBOX