[Dovecot] APOP and AuthDatabase/SQL

Peter Smith pete at linuxbox.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 01:08:14 EET 2011

Hi,

We're running dovecot 1.2.15 and use SQL authentication. We'd like to
be able to support APOP, but can't see how this would fit in with SQL
auth.

Currently we have:

password_query = SELECT email as user, password FROM virtual_users
WHERE  email='%u' or (email LIKE '%n@%%' AND unhashed='%w')

It seems that in order to auth APOP logins, we'd need to access
variables containing the authentication string sent by the client, and
also variables containing the auth string sent in the POP3 greeting.

Incidentally, the RFC (1939) suggests using:

     <pid.time at hostname>

 for the greeting, but it looks as if dovecot uses something else? I'm
seeing greetings such as:

+OK Dovecot ready.
<260f.4abcc.4ef11550.cJD6sQSUSnmPS1B/5RGF0Q==@myhostname.com>

base64 encoding?