[Dovecot] lmtp logging incomplete (does not tell what mailbox mail is actually being saved to!)

Gary Chodos gchodos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 06:09:17 EET 2011

We created a new virtual domain and created a user in that domain in
our pgsql database.  Instead of creating any directory structure in
/home/virtual/mail/<domain>/<user>, I just sent a test email to see if
dovecot's lmtp would autocreate.  And it did!  And mail appears to be
delivered to an inbox.. but, logging is weird and I'm not sure
everything is working as it should because:

Dec 20 23:01:28 mx dovecot: lmtp(21458, user at example.com):
lUDFG8tZ8U7SUwAAO3tENA:
msgid=<20111221040122.GP13367 at hostname.example.org>: saved mail to

. so why doesn't dovecot log where mail is stored/saved?

thanks,
Gary