[Dovecot] LSUB and subscribed folders

Peer Heinlein p.heinlein at heinlein-support.de
Thu Dec 22 14:34:05 EET 2011

I have a strange behavior on a customer's server and I don't understand
that:

User "bar" has some folders and one shared folder from "foo" if I use the
"LIST"-command, which should list AFAIK *all* folders:

# telnet localhost 143
a login bar xxxx
a OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE
SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC
ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS ACL RIGHTS=texk]
Logged in
a LIST "" "*"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Gesendete Objekte"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Papierkorb"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Entw&APw-rfe"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Spam"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "shared/foo"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "shared/foo/INBOX"
a OK List completed.

Using the LSUB-command, which should only list subscribed folders I can see
some more shared folders. AFAIK the output of LSUB must be always less then
LIST:

a LSUB "" "*"
* LSUB () "/" "Entw&APw-rfe"
* LSUB () "/" "Gesendete Objekte"
* LSUB () "/" "INBOX"
* LSUB () "/" "Papierkorb"
* LSUB () "/" "Spam"
* LSUB () "/" "Trash"
* LSUB (\Noselect) "/" "shared/amerkel"
* LSUB () "/" "shared/foo/Papierkorb/Ungelesene Mails"
* LSUB () "/" "shared/foo/INBOX"
* LSUB () "/" "shared/foo/INBOX/abc/Unterebene 1"
* LSUB () "/" "shared/foo/INBOX/abc/Unterebene 1/Test6789"
* LSUB () "/" "shared/foo/INBOX/abc/Unterebene 1/Test Unterornder"
* LSUB () "/" "shared/foo/INBOX/abc/Unterebene 1/Tsfgnksfgnk"
a OK Lsub completed.
a logout
* BYE Logging out
a OK Logout completed.

And why is /shared/foo/INBOX listed with "HasNoChildren"?

IMHO that's looking buggy.

And, btw: Looks like's not possible to use the "doveadm"-command to get a
list of a user's complete folder list. Maybe "doveadm mailbox" should get
some extra parameters to geht all folders / only subscribe folders / only
shared folders:

# doveadm mailbox list -u bar
Gesendete Objekte
Papierkorb
INBOX
Trash
Entwürfe
Spam

--

Heinlein Professional Linux Support GmbH
Linux: Akademie - Support - Hosting

Tel: 030/405051-42
Fax: 030/405051-19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG:
HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg,
Geschäftsführer: Peer Heinlein  -- Sitz: Berlin