[Dovecot] crash on shared folders if remote user has empty $home

Peer Heinlein p.heinlein at heinlein-support.de
Thu Dec 22 23:01:41 EET 2011

Hi,

in seldom cirumstances it's possible that the imap-process is crashing
without write something usefule into the logfile.

a) User foo exists, is happy and everything's alright

b) He had a shared folder given from bar

c) In our setup we have mailforwarding adresses without a valid $home in
LDAP

c) if user bar is changed from a user with into a mailforwarding adress,
the user foo won't have an entry for $home any more, but still exists in
LDAP.

d) If foo logs in, dovecot's exploring the shared folders given from the
non-existing user bar. But bar's entry in LDAP doesn't have $home any
more. imap crashes and closes the TCP-connection immediately.

root at dobby2:/etc/dovecot# telnet xxxxxxxx 143
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
IDLE ACL UIDPLUS STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=CRAM-MD5
AUTH=DIGEST-MD5] Dovecot ready. Testing.
a LOGIN foo xxxxx
a OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND
UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE
QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS ACL
UIDPLUS QUOTA ACL RIGHTS=texk] Logged in
a LIST "" "*"
* BYE Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Dec 22 21:57:41 dobby2 dovecot: master: Error: service(imap): child
18095 killed with signal 11 (core dumps disabled)

e) This happens if mail_location=mdbox:%%h/mdbox is set in the shared
folder namespace. If I set "mail_location=auto:" then Dovecot logs an
error message, but is still possible to continue without any problems.

Dec 22 21:33:59 dobby2 dovecot: imap(bar): Error: Namespace
'shared/bar/': Autodetection failed for auto: (home=/mail/foo/)

--

Heinlein Professional Linux Support GmbH
Linux: Akademie - Support - Hosting

http://www.heinlein-support.de
Tel: 030 / 40 50 51 - 0
Fax: 030 / 40 50 51 - 19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG:
HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg,
Geschäftsführer: Peer Heinlein  -- Sitz: Berlin