[Dovecot] mbox, hierarchical folders/folders and IMAP

Alexander Chekalin achekalin at lazurit.com
Fri Dec 23 18:00:48 EET 2011

Hello,

I'm now dealing with funny problem. I try to use Dovecot (2.1.rc1,
actually) and mbox format to store old mailing, to keep logic of "one
folder = one file".

If I'd choose Maildir, I'd be able to create hierarchical folders (like
"OldMail -> Maillists -> Dovecot"), and in fact on disk such a folders
would be stored as real folders with dots in their names. In PHP it is
easy to create with "imap_createmailbox()" function, I'd simple fire it
3 times (for "OldMail", for "OldMail.Maillists" and for
"OldMail.Maillists.Dovecot").

But when I do the same with mbox, in fact it creates separate files
(indeed, named "OldMail", "OldMail.Maillists" and
"OldMail.Maillists.Dovecot") instead of creating filesystem folders
("OldMail/Maillists/Dovecot"). PHP is not guilty, Thunderbird won't
create such folders as well. I can only create folders myself (say, with
mkdir in the shell), chown it, and the it perfectly works in IMAP.

Now I just wanted to know, are there any way to create IMAP-folders and
subfolders using standard IMAP functionality?

Thank you,
   Alexander