[Dovecot] How to serve a subset of IMAP folders for hand held devices.

David Pottage david at electric-spoon.com
Wed Dec 28 12:26:44 EET 2011

Hello

I am currently running dovecot 1.2.15 on my home server. I have over 200
folders in personal email account, and I have found that my smart-phone
does not work well trying to display that many folders.

I solved the problem by creating a second instance of dovecot running on
a non standard port, and configured it to serve only a subset my email
folders, so that way the email client on my smartphone works well and I
can read the emails I am interested in on the move.

The process of configuring two instances of dovecot on the same machine
serving different views of the same mailbox was faily complex, so I
think it would be worth documenting the process in an FAQ or suchlike
for other users.

I thought a good place to write up my method would be in the HowTo
section of the Dovecot Wiki. Is that a good idea? Can I request an
account to edit the Wiki, or should I send a draft text to an editor?
Are there any Dovecot experts here who can review my methods and suggest
improvements?

-- David Pottage