[Dovecot] automated mailbox trimming?

Monique Y. Mudama spam at bounceswoosh.org
Tue Feb 1 03:00:10 EET 2011

Hello all,

If this is answered in the wiki, I apologize.  Please point me to it
and I'll be on my way ...

This may be more of a MailDir-generic question, except that as I
understand it there's some wiggle room in the naming of the message
files.

I've just switched from an mbox-based mail system to Dovecot with
MailDir.  With mbox, I used logrotate to keep some of my mailboxes
(spam, sent, stuff like that) down to only the most recent messages.

What's the best way to go about mailbox trimming with dovecot's
implementation of maildir?  I was thinking of writing a script to simply
move or delete old files, but would I mess up dovecot's expectations
for directory/file structure that way?

My mail directories are in my user's home directory.

I'm fine with writing a script or application (time permitting, of
course), but before I do so, is there already a solution out there?

In case it's relevant:

$ dovecot --version
1.2.15
$ dovecot -n
# 1.2.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.37 x86_64 Debian 6.0
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
ssl: required
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_privileged_group: mail
mbox_write_locks: fcntl dotlock
auth default:
  passdb: