[Dovecot] Maintaining data integrity through proper power supplies (slightly referencing Best filesystem)

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Feb 1 23:30:07 EET 2011

On 1/31/2011 3:00 PM, Ron Leach wrote:

> All we want to do is not lose emails.
>
> What does everyone else do?  Lose emails?
>
> regards, Ron

I've followed several of the filesystem threads here with interest - and
tips & insight on improving performance are always exciting.  But I'm
very confused with regards to some of the questions about data
integrity.  Filesystem selection can be at least as serious a commitment
as marriage - but if the goal is to avoid data loss due to power
failure, it seems the solution to the problem is not having the problem
in the first place.

I'm responsible for running a massive server farm (1 box) for an
extraordinary number of users (at least 5 active accounts) so I may have
a distorted view of reality.  But I will say the only time I've lost
mail has been through OP error (at least since I left MS Exchange
behind...shudder).  And since that idiot IT guy looks an awful like my
mirror image...

I'm sure those OPs with larger budgets might have some hardware
suggestions for reducing the chance of hardware failure leading to data
loss (I mean, other than using good components, installed properly with
oversized cooling - and possibly proactive upgrade/replacements prior to
anticipated lifetime failure - how can you ELIMINATE the possibility of
a CPU/controller/HD just deciding to blow up?)

My first exposure to the wonders of UPS's had nothing to do with keeping
the system on while the lights were out.  Having moved from a location
where the power was relatively stable, I came to a new city and it turns
out power quality sucks - and so do the grounds.  I had constant
failures, crashes, and general unstable behaviour from my PC.  As soon
as I added a UPS (with line conditioning) - problems magically disappeared.

If you have a proper-sized UPS, combined with notification from the UPS
to the servers to perform orderly shutdowns - including telling the
application servers to shutdown prior to the storage servers, etc. -
doesn't that render the (possibly more than theoretical) chances of data
loss due to power interruption a moot point?

--
Daniel