[Dovecot] Splitting up mail_location setting?

Joseba Torre joseba.torre at ehu.es
Wed Feb 2 17:23:24 EET 2011

El Tuesday 01 February 2011, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> dijo:
> Below are the setting names I thought about using:
>
> a) mail_location =
> maildir:~/Maildir:INBOX=~/Maildir/.INBOX:INDEX=~/indexes:CONTROL=~/control
> :LAYOUT=fs:SUBSCRIPTIONS=courier-subscriptions
>
> mail_format = maildir
> mail_root_path = ~/Maildir
> mail_inbox_path = ~/Maildir/.INBOX
> mail_index_path = ~/indexes
> mail_control_path = ~/control
> mail_directory_layout = fs
> mail_subscriptions_fname = courier-subscriptions
>
> b) mail_location =
> mdbox:~/mdbox:ALT=/alt/%u:LAYOUT=fs:DIRNAME=dbox-Mails:MAILBOXDIR=mailboxe
>
> mail_format = mdbox
> mail_root_path = ~/mdbox
> mail_alt_path = /alt/%u
> mail_dir_name = dbox-Mails
> mail_mailboxes_dir_name = mailboxes
>
> Thoughts?

Personally, I like the current setting. For me, if the current setting is
misunderstood sometimes, the proposed one with two overlapping settings for
the same attribute, with values sometimes read from external BBDD sounds
pretty error prone.

Maybe call mail_location "advanced setup" and the other ones  "basic setup",
and make them mutually exclusive (I mean something like: if mail_format is
used only mail_* attributes are used, and if it's not only mail_location).
Otherwise very strange problems may appear.

Bye.
--
Joseba Torre. Vicegerencia de TICs, área de Explotación