[Dovecot] Reproducable hang caused by IMAP server

Matthias Scheler tron at zhadum.org.uk
Wed Feb 2 21:45:26 EET 2011

	Hello,

I have problems with Dovecot 2.0.9 (and 2.0.8) under NetBSD/amd64 5.1.
"mutt" hangs when I try to quit it after accessing a folder via IMAP.

I can reproduce the problem with these steps:
1.) I run "mutt -f =foo" to access folder "foo" via IMAP. The folder
    contains about 10 messages in my case.
2.) I tag two of the messages and then save them to a *non existent*
    folder. When "mutt" asks whether the folder should be created
    I confirm the action.
3.) Finally I exit "mutt" and confirm the question whether the messages
    marked as deleted (by the save in step 2) should be deleted.
4.) "mutt" now hangs indefinitely.

I've attached a packet capture of the above steps to this e-mail. As far
as I can tell from the packet capture and debugging "mutt" with "gdb"
it waits for the IMAP server to confirm the logout which never happens.
I've never seen this problem with Dovecot 1.2.16.

Here is the requested debugging information:

Output of "dovecot --version":
2.0.9

Output of "doveconf -n":
# 2.0.9: /etc/pkg/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: NetBSD 5.1_STABLE amd64
auth_mechanisms = cram-md5 digest-md5 plain login
listen = *, [::]
mail_debug = yes
mail_location = mbox:~/Mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
passdb {
  args = /etc/pkg/dovecot/passwd
  driver = passwd-file
}
pop3_uidl_format = %08Xv%08Xu
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/openssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/openssl/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

	Kind regards