[Dovecot] Great time savings backing a mdbox versus Maildir

Javier Miguel Rodríguez javierdemiguel at us.es
Tue Feb 8 12:30:32 EET 2011

> Oh.. I envy you. Will probably need to do the same at some point, but
> I'm having problems understanding how we will ever be able to make the
> transition. Too many files -- too many users..

     We did the transiction via imapsync: we had /"the old server"/ and
a /"new server"/, and we migrated all mailboxes
with imapsync and master user feature. The first imapsync takes a lot of
time, but the next ones are incremental, and take much less time. When
we are ready (a night) , we stop we switch from "old server" to "new
server". Minimal downtine, and if everythings goes wrong, we can
imapsync "in the other way", from new-> old instead old->new

     Our mail servers are virtualized in a  vmware vsphere cluster. We
have HA & DRS, and all the info is stored in the iSCSI SAN. Ir our setup
we "only" have a virtualized mail , but if the hw node fails the
virtualized starts automatically in another ESX.

     Regards

     Javier