[Dovecot] Effect of separators (was: Re: Permissions in shared folders)

Lukas Haase lukashaase at gmx.at
Tue Feb 8 17:54:33 EET 2011

Dear list,

A dumb question: What exactly is the effect of the separator?

Is it also used to separate in the underlying file system? I.e. when I
have the separator '/', the IMAP folder Sent/Jan is physically stored as

/home/lukas/Maildir/.Send/Jan/cur

? If this is true this would greatly solve my problem described at the
bottom.

I have tried it myself, however, dovecot 1.2 does not allow to create a
namespace with a separator different than my default namespace...

If this works, is there a convenient migration procedure possible to
migrate from . to /?
The Wiki just mentions the other way (/ --> .).

Best regards,
Luke