[Dovecot] problem configuring deliver in LDAP environment.

Andrea Borghi andrea at z80.it
Tue Feb 8 21:23:58 EET 2011

hello

I am using dovecot-1.2.15 in debian squeeze (packaged) and i have some
difficulties migrating from an older installation tha is working perfectly.

i have a transport defined in postfix to call deliver as follows:

dovecotlda  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -s -e -f ${sender} -d ${recipient}

with the auth-socket in dovecot.conf all ok and this in ldap-userdb.conf:
user_attrs = vdHome=chroot,mailbox=mail=maildir:%$,quota=quota_rule=*:bytes=%$,otherPath=sieve

you see, i have the base directory for the chroot for the entire mail system
in ldap:vdHome as /home/vmail/domains and the actual location of the mailbox
in maildir format in ldap:mailbox so i can have the actual complete path as
/(vdHome)/(mailbox)

This is running smoolthly, BUT the chroot environment with all the library
dependencies is REALLY REALLY limiting because the huge number of files from
the system i must put on the mail storeage (which is networked and used by more
systems so i cannot put libraries and binaries there)

What i am trying to do is leaving all the dovecot services running in chroot mode
(as they do) but let deliver running in NORMAL (non-chroot mode)

so i need to remove the chroot variable in userattr reply, and parametrize the
mail location with the two ldap values.

i am conscious that i can set up this as
user_attrs = mailbox=mail=maildir:/home/vmail/domains/%$,quota=quota_rule=*:bytes=%$,otherPath=sieve

but I WANT TO KEEP THE BASE DIR PARAMETRIZED to leave me the possibility to
set the base dir in LDAP to goup the accounts on different mail storage system.

So you know a method to substitute TWO ldap values in the mail parameter definition?

Thank you
 Andrea