[Dovecot] Great time savings backing a mdbox versus Maildir

Javier de Miguel Rodríguez javierdemiguel at us.es
Wed Feb 9 00:28:13 EET 2011

Hello
> Hmm. I guess if you were doing backups 24h/day, then you can't really say how much faster mdbox performs than maildir (outside backups)?

     No, 24 hours is for a FULL backup in the weekend. An incremental
backup is only 2-3 hours in the night every day.

     About performance... I can not give you real numbers of Maildir vs
mdbox. In Maildir our indexes were stored in a ram disk, but we can not
do that with mdbox (we can not recreate them if power is lost).

     Regards

     Javier