[Dovecot] NoSQL Storage Backend

Giorgio Regni gr at scality.com
Thu Feb 10 13:05:46 EET 2011

Hi, full disclaimer, I am the CTO of Scality.
We just fixed the link to dovecot.com to dovecot.org on our website, thanks
for pointing that out.

Indeed we have developed a connector to our object storage for dovecot 2.x,
this is aimed at very large scale deployments, millions on users and
petabytes of storage. Our next goal is to also distribute the metadata on
our RING platform, think of it as a nosql database put tailor made for
Dovecot.
This would enable stateless operations on a layer of dovecot IMAP/POP
frontends, although from a performance/caching point of view, a layer of
statefull load balancers would redirect the same user to one dovecot box,
until it dies and then transparently fails over to another box, without
having to move any data around.

As Timo pointed out, focusing on keeping a lightning fast user experience
makes the exercise more difficult as a naive DB layer implementation would
add a lot of latency. Locking is our enemy...

Best regards

Giorgio