[Dovecot] problem configuring deliver in LDAP environment.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 11 23:26:30 EET 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 21:26 +0100, Andrea Borghi wrote:
> > > What i am trying to do is leaving all the dovecot services running in chroot mode
> > > (as they do) but let deliver running in NORMAL (non-chroot mode)
> >
> > How is deliver even chrooting? Postfix doesn't call it chrooted and
> > since it's user vmail:vmail the process isn't privileged to do any
> > chrooting of its own.
>
> Server with no local users except for root,
>
> I enabled SUID bit on deliver binary, to get the thing going. but i doen't like that. It was
> only a rapid solution to get the system going while searching a more robust alternative.

OK, so it's deliver that does the chrooting.

> I was reasoning that deliver is in a protected path, with antivirus et al before it so i can
> live with deliver not-chrooted, while i certainly desire the client-contacted modules (imap,
> pop3, etc) in their own jail.

But deliver doesn't call antivirus, right? So what's the problem of
keeping deliver chrooted? There shouldn't be any need for any libraries
or anything inside the chroot.

> > > So you know a method to substitute TWO ldap values in the mail parameter definition?
> >
> > Not possible currently.
>
> so you're telling i have no other option except to fold over the two parts of the path
> directly in the LDAP database and reconfigure dovecot (as a whole) to map just one attribute?

Yeah.

> I can certainly live with that but in this case i am loosing flexibility.
>
> perhaps dovecot 2+ can do this (i confess i have not researched version2 yet) ? i certainly
> can move from the packetized debian version to a locally built one without much trouble.

I've some plans to rewrite LDAP configuration to support this and other
things.