[Dovecot] Sendmail and Dovecot deliver (dovecot-lda)

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Mon Feb 14 11:12:27 EET 2011

Hi,

I have a Centos 5 system with sendmail running as my MTA.

Normally I note from sendmail logs that mails get delivered using the
'local' mailer.

I have therefore entered the following into my sendmail.mc file, from an
earlier post on this list:

define(`LOCAL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver')
define(`LOCAL_MAILER_FLAGS',`DFMPhfnu9')
define(`LOCAL_MAILER_ARGS',`deliver -d $u')

However, when sendmail tries to use deliver I just get this message:

Feb 13 15:37:23 gate sendmail[1399]: p1DEWtc2021995:
to=<user at example.org>, delay=00:04:28, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local,
pri=121665, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: local mailer
(/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL

I've tried to get better logging by putting the following in 15-lda.conf
in /etc/dovecot/conf.d:

protocol lda {
   postmaster_address = postmaster at example.org
   auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
   mail_plugins = sieve
   mail_location = maildir:~/.maildir
   log_path = /var/log/dovecot-deliver.log
   info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-deliver.log
}

I find nothing gets written to the log file, even if I make it a world
writable file.

Does anyone have any ideas? What are the best steps to get more
information troubleshooting?

--
Best Regards,

Giles Coochey