[Dovecot] Recover a deleted message in MDBOX format ?

Frank Bonnet f.bonnet at esiee.fr
Tue Feb 15 11:51:09 EET 2011

Hello

Every night a backup of all mailboxes is performed to a NFS mounted
partition

All our mailboxes are now in MDBOX format.

I wonder how it would be possible to recover one  email accidentally
deleted by a user ?

It was easy in MBOX format to extract and save it using mutt ( as root )
from the backuped mbox then re-copy it to the user's mbox.

Of course I should access to the backup mailboxes space using thunderbird
but doing this I need to know every users's passwords, that is unacceptable.
for security and privacy reasons.

Let users access to the backup space is not possible of course.

Is there a tool ?

Thanks