[Dovecot] test emails did not arrive at SMTP server : after dovecot installation

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Wed Feb 16 17:55:20 EET 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:38:45 +0800
sunhux G <sunhux at gmail.com> articulated:

> Just set up postfix & it's running on my RHES 4.2 box.
>
> Immediately after postfix is up, I test sending emails from a
> permitted domain
> (ahhh, on this postfix server's domain firewall, we even have a
> firewall rule
>  which permits Tcp25 from those few sending domains' SMTP servers)
> using an email client  to
> sender_id@[IP_address_of_the_postfix_server]  & the /var/log/maillog
> on the postfix server indicated the email arrives at the postfix
> server (with some errors though) :
>
> # grep recipient_id /var/log/maillog*
> maillog:Feb 15 11:41:52 hostname postfix/smtpd[6891]: NOQUEUE:
> reject: RCPT from gate1.mds.com.sg[203.126.130.157]: 554 5.7.1
> <recipient_id@[202.6.163.31]>:
> Relay access denied; from=<prvs=020cae8c4=recipient_id at mds.com.sg>
> to=<recipient_id@[202.6.163.31]> proto=ESMTP helo=<gate1.mds.com.sg>
> maillog:Feb 15 13:43:20 hostname sendmail[7688]: NOQUEUE:
> SYSERR(recipient_id): can not chdir(/var/spool/mqueue/): Permission
> denied
>
> Then I installed dovecot rpm on my RHES box : uninstall it as it's an
> old version &
> reinstall with a newer version & start up dovecot as well.
>
> I did not test sending to sender_id at domain_name at that time because
> the domain I purchased from a domain provider/registrar has yet to be
> registered in our ISP's DNS.  Subsequently I registered the following
> A, MX & NS records with our ISP :
>
> A: myportaltech.com. IN A 202.6.163.31
> A: smtp.myportaltech.com. IN A 202.6.163.31
>
> PTR: 31.163.6.202.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR smtp.myportaltech.com.
>
> MX: myportaltech.com. IN MX 10 smtp.myportaltech.com.
>
> NS: myportaltech.com.        IN     NS     ns1.businessexprezz.com.
> NS: myportaltech.com.        IN     NS     ns2.businessexprezz.com.
>
> The above myportaltech is just a fictitious name of my domain but I
> can provide the actual domain name if needed.
>
> After the above records have been propagated to all other DNSes, I
> test sending email from the same permitted domain, this time using
> domain name & the email never arrives & I did not receive a 'bounced
> mail' notification too.  Then I test sending from the same domain to
> recipient_id@[202.6.163.31] & this time round, the test email never
> show up in /var/log/maillog* anymore.
>
> The network/security guys confirmed that the firewall logs did not
> show any denied SMTP records.
>
> So how do I go about troubleshooting this?
>
> Is this a DNS record entries issue, firewall/network issue, related to
> dovecot or something within my postfix server?

Unless I am misreading this, it is a Postfix problem. I would strongly
suggest that you ask your question on their forum. Before doing so,
please read the documentation on:
http://www.postfix.com/DEBUG_README.html

I would also suggest that you follow the instruction for "Reporting
problems to postfix-users at postfix.org" located at the end of the
document. Provide the output from the postfinger tool. This can be
found at http://ftp.wl0.org/SOURCES/postfinger.

--
Jerry ✌
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net