[Dovecot] Bug(?): LSUB returns empty string although subscribed (was: Re: Cannot subscribe to shared folders)

Lukas Haase lukashaase at gmx.at
Wed Feb 16 21:31:35 EET 2011

Hi,

I did further investigation on this issue (using raw IMAP commands) and
I think that this is a bug...

Am 15.02.2011 18:53, schrieb Lukas Haase:
> Am 14.02.2011 14:54, schrieb Lukas Haase:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am unable to subscribe to shared folders (...)
>> everything seems to be correct (dovecot 1.2).
>>
>> My configuration is the following (maybe that is the problem?!):
>>
>> namespace private {
>>   separator = .
>>   prefix =
>>   inbox = no
>>   list = no
>>   hidden = yes
>>   location = maildir:~/Maildir-root
>>   subscriptions = yes
>> }
>>
>> namespace private {
>>   separator = .
>>   prefix = INBOX.
>>   inbox = yes
>>   subscriptions = yes
>> }
>>
>> namespace public {
>>   separator = .
>>   prefix = Shared.
>>   location = maildir:/var/mail/shared:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared:LAYOUT=fs
>>   subscriptions = YES / NO <--
>> }
>> [...]

In each case I make sure that all folders are subscribed, that is, the
subscribe command returns OK and the subscribed folders are written into
/var/mail/shared/subscriptions and ~/Maildir-root/subscriptions,
respectively. Just to make sure:

# cat /var/mail/shared/subscriptions
NoSpamDrop
Public
SpamDrop
# cat /home/lukas/Maildir-root/subscriptions
Shared.NoSpamDrop
Shared.Public
Shared.SpamDrop
#

It turns out that if I set

1.) subscriptions = yes (in the public namespace above)
     the lsub command behaves correct:

     . list "" "Shared.*"
     * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Shared.NoSpamDrop"
     * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Shared.Public"
     * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Shared.SpamDrop"
     . OK List completed.
     . lsub "" "Shared.*"
     * LSUB () "." "Shared.NoSpamDrop"
     * LSUB () "." "Shared.Public"
     * LSUB () "." "Shared.SpamDrop"
     . OK Lsub completed.
     . logout
     * BYE Logging out
     . OK Logout completed.
     closed

2.) ...but with subscriptions = no
     the lsub command returns an empty list ALTHOUGH the folders are
     subscribed:

     . list "" "Shared.*"
     * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Shared.NoSpamDrop"
     * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Shared.Public"
     * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Shared.SpamDrop"
     . OK List completed.
     . lsub "" "Shared.*"
     . OK Lsub completed.
     . logout
     * BYE Logging out
     . OK Logout completed.

Now I am pretty sure that this is a bug. Maybe it is better to file a
bug report?

Best regards,
Luke