[Dovecot] Problem with messages with long lines

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 17 17:16:39 EET 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 10:44 -0300, ZMA - Emiliano Mariño wrote:

> Everything goes right until the POP3 client tries to retrieve a message that
> contains one or more long lines – lines as long as 3000 characters or even
> more.

In message body or header?

> I have opened a connection manually to see what happens, and when I issue
> the RETR command on one of these messages, dovecot informs the message size
> and then nothing else. No message sending.

I can't reproduce it. I doubt there's a generic problem with >3k
characters, but maybe there is a bug with some specific message line
length.

If it hangs, then you most likely have a pop3 process eating 100% CPU,
right? You should be able to gdb into it and see where it's hanging
with:

gdb -p <pid of pop3 process>
bt full

> I have upgraded to version 2.0.1 but I still get the same behavior.

Why 2.0.1 rather than 2.0.9?