[Dovecot] dsync problem: Error: Can't rename mailbox INBOX

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 17 18:14:45 EET 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 14:25 +0100, Jan Binder wrote:

> dsync-local(jan.binder): Error: Can't rename mailbox INBOX to INBOX_a432bf2eca595a4dba47000043b078f4: Renaming INBOX isn't supported.
> dsync-local(jan.binder): Error: Can't rename mailbox INBOX_e184273887675a4dcc5b00000c16d079 to INBOX: Target mailbox already exists

Syncing INBOX is a bit weak point with dsync currently. Basically the
problem is that the local and remote INBOX has a different mailbox GUID,
so dsync treats them as different mailboxes that have a naming conflict.
The usual way to resolve this by renaming doesn't work, because INBOX
can't be renamed.

You should be able to solve this by deleting the INBOX manually from the
other side and letting dsync create it again with the proper GUID. What
mailbox format do you use? I don't see mail_location in your settings.