[Dovecot] Permission denied after dist-upgrade

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Feb 18 20:32:37 EET 2011

Thomas Skowron put forth on 2/18/2011 3:27 AM:
> Am 18.02.2011 um 03:05 schrieb Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com>:
>
>> Thomas Skowron put forth on 2/17/2011 6:19 PM:
>>
>>> Versions seem to be okay. The only thing that has been updated on the
>>> server is the kernel (2.6.26-2-xen-amd64). Could this be possibly a problem?
>>
>> Squeeze is built against kernel 2.6.32-5.  Although it is unlikely that
>> the old 2.6.26 kernel is related to this problem I guess it's possible.
>> Regardless you should upgrade the kernel to the amd64 squeeze kernel.
>>
>> Why are you running a Xen kernel?  That would suggest you're running
>> multiple virtual machines.  Are you?  Is this Dovecot server inside a
>> virtual machine?  If so, why are you reporting to us the kernel version
>> of the hypervisor instead of the guest OS?
>
> I am on a virtual machine (it's a virtual dedicated server).
> I have performed a standard dist upgrade, but my provider isn't giving
> me the possibility to upgrade the kernel. It's a mess.
> Why Xen? No idea. That's simply what uname -a says me.
>
> Well, I assume I got to ask my provider
> for any information.

Ahh, the wonderful world of cheap VPS.  If this is a "dedicated" server,
how are they preventing you from replacing the kernel image?  You have
root access don't you?  Then there should be nothing stopping you from
updating the kernel.  If they can physically prevent you from doing so
then this is certainly NOT a dedicated server platform, but a hybrid VPS
hosting platform.

As your problems are very unlikely caused by Dovecot, but by the Squeeze
upgrade, I'd suggest you take this up on the Debian users list.  Someone
there may be able to give you more insight.

BTW, does your VPS provider support Squeeze?  Did you ask them before
upgrading?  It would appear they don't yet support Squeeze...

Good luck.

--
Stan