[Dovecot] Configuration of LMTP Reject Code

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Mon Feb 21 13:41:41 EET 2011

Am 21.02.2011 11:05, schrieb Petter Urkedal:
> Is it possible to change the reject codes from the Dovecot LMTP agent?
> In particular I would like to change the "550 5.1.1 <...> User doesn't
> exist." to a temporary failure, since we already validate email
> addresses on the mail front-end, and such errors are most likely due to
> a temporary glitch in the user database lookup.
>
> We use Postfix on the front-end, which is very configurable in this
> respect.  I don't see a way to override the error code from LMTP,
> though, but suggestions are welcome.

you may study this

unknown_hostname_reject_code (default: 450)

    The numerical Postfix SMTP server response code when the hostname
specified with the HELO or EHLO command is rejected by the
reject_unknown_helo_hostname restriction.

    Do not change this unless you have a complete understanding of RFC 2821.
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code (default: 550)

    The numerical Postfix SMTP server response code when a recipient
address is local, and $local_recipient_maps specifies a list of lookup
tables that does not match the recipient. A recipient address is local
when its domain matches $mydestination, $proxy_interfaces or
$inet_interfaces.

    The default setting is 550 (reject mail) but it is safer to
initially use 450 (try again later) so you have time to find out if your
local_recipient_maps settings are OK.

    Example:

    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450

    This feature is available in Postfix 2.0 and later.
unknown_relay_recipient_reject_code (default: 550)

    The numerical Postfix SMTP server reply code when a recipient
address matches $relay_domains, and relay_recipient_maps specifies a
list of lookup tables that does not match the recipient address.

    This feature is available in Postfix 2.0 and later.
unknown_virtual_alias_reject_code (default: 550)

    The SMTP server reply code when a recipient address matches
$virtual_alias_domains, and $virtual_alias_maps specifies a list of
lookup tables that does not match the recipient address.

    This feature is available in Postfix 2.0 and later.
unknown_virtual_mailbox_reject_code (default: 550)

    The SMTP server reply code when a recipient address matches
$virtual_mailbox_domains, and $virtual_mailbox_maps specifies a list of
lookup tables that does not match the recipient address.

    This feature is available in Postfix 2.0 and later.
unverified_recipient_defer_code (default: 450)

    The numerical Postfix SMTP server response when a recipient address
probe fails due to a temporary error condition.

    Unlike elsewhere in Postfix, you can specify 250 in order to accept
the address anyway.

    Do not change this unless you have a complete understanding of RFC 2821.

    This feature is available in Postfix 2.6 and later.
unverified_recipient_reject_code (default: 450)

    The numerical Postfix SMTP server response when a recipient address
is rejected by the reject_unverified_recipient restriction.

    Unlike elsewhere in Postfix, you can specify 250 in order to accept
the address anyway.

    Do not change this unless you have a complete understanding of RFC 2821.

    This feature is available in Postfix 2.1 and later.

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria