[Dovecot] Best way to migrate versions and machines

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Feb 21 17:28:06 EET 2011

On 17/02/2011 15:29, Donny Brooks wrote:
> We are looking to migrate from our current mail server running
> dovecot-1.2.11-3 to a new mail server running the latest dovecot
> (2.0.9?). So this would not only be a version change but also a
> machine change. We currently use Maildir for storing mail and would
> like to stay that way.
>
> Has anyone preformed such a feat and it worked? Looking for any input.

I have had a lot of success in setting up both Dovecot and Postfix to
read a "mail_location" field which points to the IP of the users real
mail server.  When this changes then another dovecot instance proxies to
the correct machine and postfix invokes a transport map to shift the
mail to the correct machine (I think Dovecot has a %my_IP variable and
also you can kind of extract your IP at the mysql server side, where you
need this param in a query)

In this way you can easily move individual users around very simply.
Your migration can then also be just a few users at first, more through
time, rather than a big bang approach

If your question was migrating config then I think I would start with
the default new config and migrate your old changes across.  Also run
the config upgrade on the old config.  Now compare the results of both
methods and see if this helps you spot anything you missed during your
manual migration?  Apart from config changes, I think the upgrade is
likely to be uneventful?

Good luck

Ed W