[Dovecot] Sharing mails with other users without copying data

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 22 12:11:36 EET 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 11:06 +0100, Ernesto Revilla Derksen wrote:

> We would like to share mails without copying the data to another mailbox.

What do you mean by "share"? Share how? Via IMAP protocol and shared
mailboxes?

> The problem is that we use exim4 for delivery and maildir++ format.
>
> Would it be feasible to create a symlink or hardlink using the COPY or
> COPYlike (extension) command?

Dovecot already tries to use hard linking when copying messages, if the
permissions are compatible. Also when it delivers new mails with LMTP it
tries to do this hard linking if the mail being sent has multiple RCPT
TOs.