[Dovecot] dbox vs. mdbox

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Feb 27 09:26:45 EET 2011

Hi

> I really appreciate feedback. We're on a time-crunch to migrate from a debian 5 box w/ dovecot 1.1 to a debian 6 box w/ dovecot 2.0.9 (built from source).

I would have thought if time is tight then stick with what you know and
migrate later?  If you aren't building your new box as a virtualised
container of some sort then stop and consider that to be much more
desirable... With a virtualised install you can easily spin up an
alternative config and more easily migrate the format of the data
separately to the config of the server?

Oh, I'm also a huge fan of the "proxy" feature which allows you to spin
up a new machine/config, then migrate users across slowly rather than
one big bang. You can use it with your current migration to test the
upgrade for example?

According to the wiki, your answer to the dbox question is probably best
given here:
     http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox

Good luck

Ed W