[Dovecot] Problem with ldap / quotas

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Mon Feb 28 21:51:45 EET 2011

Thanks Timo,

In the end, I figured things out.

Below are the changes to my initial configuration; now everything works
fine.

Just a note about a detail which took me some time to sort out: In
postfix master.cf, in LDA setup documentation, the suggested
configuration is:

dovecot unix - n n - - pipe
flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -f
${sender} -d ${recipient}

However, in my case, the working solution uses {user} rather than
{recipient}, as - at the end - we just use the username for mailbox
delivery and {recipient} is inappropriate in this context. I feel that
this scenario is not rare in postfix/dovecot/LDAP implementations.

Config file changes follow:
------------------------------
# /etc/postfix/main.cf

mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver
dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
virtual_transport = dovecot

------------------------------
# /etc/postfix/master.cf

dovecot unix - n n - - pipe
flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -f
${sender} -d ${user}
------------------------------
# /etc/dovecot.conf

protocol lda {
postmaster_address = postmaster at noa.gr
sendmail_path = /usr/lib/sendmail
auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
log_path =
info_log_path =
mail_plugins = quota
}