[Dovecot] Pointers for developing a proper encryption plugin?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 4 01:53:37 EET 2011

On 3.1.2011, at 20.05, dovecot at moorooboorai.com wrote:

> One thing that's always itching when I think about mail-servers, is the storage of e-mail messages in (rather) plain-text.
> Meaning, any administrator with sufficient privileges would be able to read messages not meant for them.
> Of course, PGP alike solutions exist, but that's not for the masses.
>
> In my opinion I would like to have e-mail messages stored encrypted using a (strong) user-supplied password.
> That password would ideally be the same as the one the user logs in with.
> So for me it's okay to place and enforce that requirement on any of the users.

1) See http://dovecot.org/patches/2.0/mail-filter.tar.gz - you should be able to use that to pass all emails to a filter that decrypts mails. I'm not happy that imap process there forks new processes, it should be more like quota-warning where dovecot master process forks them. So it'll probably change.

2) I remember Alex Baule has been talking about things more or less related to this.. Although I'm not longer entirely certain what it is that he's built. You could try asking him.