[Dovecot] Vpopmail + Expire Plugin

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Tue Jan 4 14:29:01 EET 2011

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 13:13 +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>> doveadm(lehmann at ans-netz.de): Debug: Effective uid=89, gid=89,
>> home=/usr/local/vpopmail/domains/ans-netz.de/lehmann
>> doveadm(lehmann at ans-netz.de): Debug: maildir++:
>> root=/usr/local/vpopmail/domains/ans-netz.de/lehmann, index=,
>> control=, inbox=/usr/local/vpopmail/domains/ans-netz.de/lehmann
>
> So the mails exist
> in /usr/local/vpopmail/domains/ans-netz.de/lehmann/.Test/cur/ directory?
>
> You could also try if doveadm sees any mailboxes:
>
> doveadm mailbox list -u lehmann at ans-netz.de

This just gave me "dovecot.sieve", so "/Maildir" was missing from the
directory.
I added it by specifying mail_location:
mail_location = maildir:/usr/local/vpopmail/domains/%d/%n/Maildir
I've read that specifying this is not needed with vpopmail as vpopmail is used
to get the mail location but obviously it is not working 100% correctly.
With defining mail_location doveadm search works.

# doveadm search -u lehmann at ans-netz.de mailbox Test subject 'test'
4f62f61f93e9224df2830000a41df4f7 1
4f62f61f93e9224df2830000a41df4f7 2
4f62f61f93e9224df2830000a41df4f7 3
4f62f61f93e9224df2830000a41df4f7 4
4f62f61f93e9224df2830000a41df4f7 5
4f62f61f93e9224df2830000a41df4f7 6
4f62f61f93e9224df2830000a41df4f7 7
#

I could now probably set up a cron job doing the "expunging" but - what is
expire now for at all? What is the benefit? I thought that expunging is only
possible with expire but from what I understood now it also works without
expire.