[Dovecot] merging the best of mdbox and sdbox

Joan Moreau jom at grosjo.net
Thu Jan 6 00:30:56 EET 2011

I am not sure I understand why it would be "read entirely", as it is
the same as reading a message when accessing a folder and writing a file
when a new message in arriving.... which is the very most common
activity of a mail server... so not sure about any "wasteful" I/O

Can
we spend some more thoughts on this ?

wrote:

>> Is there a way to use the mdbox format (i.e. several
message per files) for EACH IMAP folders (sdbox approach) ?
> The
problem with that is that when copying messages between mailboxes they
would have to be actually read and written entirely, rather than a) with
sdbox it can use a hard link() call, b) with mdbox it can update 3
indexes. Copying is a rather common operation since clients often move
messages to Trash, so the extra writing would be a bit wasteful.