[Dovecot] Telnet access creates new maildir folders

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Jan 6 10:38:19 EET 2011

On 02/01/2011 12:40, Seasoul wrote:
> Thinking I should look into PAM , this is my config:

..
> Now, when I try to log to Dovecot via telnet using "user1 at domain.com" as
> username, authentication fails and Dovecot log shows:

..
> Which makes sense because I don't have a "user1 at domain.com" set up as a user
> on my server. Only "user1"
> Should I have one ? I'm confused, I thought creating just the user par of
> user at domain.com would be enough, is it not ?

I didn't read the entire chain completely, but your problem sounds like
an issue with either two authentication options (PAM and sql) or a
normalisation issue with usernames

 From your latest email I sense that you might be creating users in an
SQL database AND as local users?

Previously the issue seemed to be that you wanted to auth as "user1",
but then have dovecot treat the user as "user1 at abcd.com"?  This can be
done, but you need some way to add the default domain, and that will
require extra configuration?

My best guess is that you have two authentication sources at present
though?  From what you describe you should probably be switching to
using the Dovecot sql user/passwd auth config?

Good luck

Ed W