[Dovecot] Pointers for developing a proper encryption plugin?

Christian Felsing hostmaster at taunusstein.net
Thu Jan 6 13:54:57 EET 2011

Am 04.01.2011 07:38, schrieb tomas at tuxteam.de:
> The idea upthread (Jan-Frode) to keep a public key server-side and
> encrypt messages on arrival seems to me the way to go.

I would support that idea. Private key should be encrypted with users
passphrase. If user changes password privet key needs to be decrypted
with old password and reencrypted with new password.

Public key never changes, so maildir is never required to be touched, if
user changes password and server does not need to know users secret to
receive mail.

I would wish that Timo would consider to implement required functions to
plugin API, so such a plugin would be possible without massive patching
Dovecot source code.

Christian