[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0.8 Linux 2.6.12.6-arm1 armv5tejl Segmentation fault

Stephen Feyrer steve at toth.org.uk
Thu Jan 6 19:20:07 EET 2011

Hi Stan,

>> # OS: Linux 2.6.12.6-arm1 armv5tejl

> Stephen, just curious:

Curiosity should be be encouraged, oddly though, this is best achieved
with answers.

> 1.  Why are you running a 5 year old kernel?  Is it still supported by
> your distro?

My distro is optware and as far as I can tell isn't maintained on a
regular basis.  The thing is first you update the kernel, and then you
update gcc, then glibc, and then its emacs and binutils and libtools and
zlib and openssl and soon everything spirals out of control and you don't
know where it all went wrong.

> 2.  Given your kernel is 5 years old, why are you intent on running the
> bleeding edge Dovecot?

In the beginning when I first came to Dovecot, I was told promptly if
you've got a problem get the latest version of Dovecot in case your
problem has already been fixed.  Since then I found a very cross compiler
that built Dovecot 1.2.8 for me since then that has worked fine.  Just a
few days ago my brother decided to update Dovecot with the latest version
(which has problems), so I referred to the previous instruction to get the
latest version.  Also, my cross compiler is now so cross it no longer
compiles packages.

I hope this was informative.

--
Kind Regards