[Dovecot] Migrate dbox 1.2 virtual mail to 2.0

Nick Rosier nick+dovecot at bunbun.be
Sat Jan 8 02:04:32 EET 2011

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 7.1.2011, at 23.03, Nick Rosier wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to migrate from Dovecot 1.2.16 to 2.0.7. Initially the mails were stored in Maildir format but I changed them to dbox using "fast Maildir migration" and some mails are still in the old maildir format.
>> I'm trying to migrate these mails using dsync but dsync panics:
>
> http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-November/055191.html for explanation and http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-November/055192.html for the latest version. Rename the attachment.bin to dbox-dehybrid.c and compile it. The wiki should be upgraded I guess..

Thanks for the quick reply. I compiled the code and ran it as described.
I got some errors (file not found errors for non-existing maildir
messages) but the tool completed successfully. Unfortunately dovecot
2.0.7 was unable to read the dbox mails. All mailboxes were empty. In
the log I found following errors: Invalid dbox header size

I've also tried running dsync again on the dehybridified mailboxes but
it still crashes.
I tried running 2.0 on untouched mailboxes but got empty mailboxes.

I've rolled back to 1.2.16 and the mailboxes from before the migration
(thank god for zfs snapshots :-) ) and am able to view all mailboxes again.

Any ideas?
N.