[Dovecot] Seeing other people subscribed non-shared mailboxes

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Tue Jan 11 16:46:24 EET 2011

Hello Timo,

With dovecot-2.0.8/Maildir, in a simple shared mailboxes setting I noticed the
following :

- user "doveimap" has 2 mailboxes : "Common" and "Private"

- he shares only the "Common" mailbox to user "dovepop" doing :

  x setacl "Common" dovepop lrwstipekxacd
  x OK Setacl complete.

- he subscribed to both

  x lsub "" *
  * LSUB () "." "Trash"
  * LSUB () "." "Common"
  * LSUB () "." "Private"
  x OK Lsub completed.

I'm not realy sure if the fact that "dovepop" can see doveimap's subscribed
"Private" mailbox in the "#Shared" namespace is legitimate or not :

x login dovepop xxxxx
x OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS ACL RIGHTS=texk] Logged in
x list "" *
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "." "#shared.doveimap"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "#shared.doveimap.Common"
x OK List completed.

x lsub "" *
* LSUB () "." "Trash"
* LSUB (\Noselect) "." "#shared.doveimap"
* LSUB (\Noselect) "." "#shared.doveimap.Trash"
* LSUB () "." "#shared.doveimap.Common"
* LSUB (\Noselect) "." "#shared.doveimap.Private"
x OK Lsub completed.
x logout

Is this the way it's supposed to work ?

My setup is :

namespace {
  type = shared
  separator = "."
  prefix = "#shared.%%u."
  location = maildir:/courriel/boites/%%u:INDEX=/var/dovecot-2/indexes/%1u/%u/shared/%%u:CONTROL=/courriel/meta/%%u
  # Use the default namespace for saving subscriptions.
  #  subscriptions = no
  #  hidden = no
  #  list = no
  list = children
}

# pwd
/courriel/boites/doveimap
# cat dovecot-acl-list
1294755382 Common
# cat .Common/dovecot-acl
user=dovepop akxeilprwts
# cat .Private/dovecot-acl
cat: .Private/dovecot-acl: No such file or directory

Also, I'm not sure I correctly understand what "Use the default namespace for
saving subscriptions." option is. Is it just the location of the subscription
file for mailboxes subscribed in the shared namespace ? Where would it be if
set to "yes" ?

Thanks.

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur