[Dovecot] Error: FETCH [1] for mailbox badbox UID 1 got too little data: 2 vs 4

Chris Wilson chris-dovecot-110112 at aptivate.org
Wed Jan 12 17:02:16 EET 2011

Hi all,

I can send myself a test message that causes Dovecot to crash when I open
it in Alpine, with the following error:

Jan 12 14:52:52 one-mail dovecot: imap(chris): Error: FETCH [1] for
  mailbox badbox UID 1 got too little data: 2 vs 4
Jan 12 14:52:52 one-mail dovecot: imap(chris): Error: Corrupted index
  cache file /home/chris/mail/.imap/badbox/dovecot.index.cache: Broken
  MIME parts for mail UID 1
Jan 12 14:52:52 one-mail dovecot: imap(chris): Disconnected: FETCH failed
  bytes=485/1394

I can do this as follows:

$ touch ~/mail/badbox
$ echo test | /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda -m badbox
$ cat ~/mail/badbox
>From MAILER-DAEMON  Wed Jan 12 14:52:29 2011
test

And then when I try to open badbox in Alpine (over IMAP), and then open
this email, I get the error above, and the connection is aborted.

I expect that the "test" line is not a valid header, but dovecot should
not crash when opening it.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.