[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Wed Jan 12 19:53:50 EET 2011

I just replaced my drives for Dovecot using Maildir format with a pair
of Solid State Drives (SSD) in a raid 0 configuration. It's really
really fast. Kind of expensive but it's like getting 20x the speed for
20x the price. I think the big gain is in the 0 seek time.

Here's what I bought.

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal
Solid State Drive (SSD)
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148349>

    *   2.5"
    *   256GB
    *   SATA III

    * *Sequential Access - Read:* 355MB/sec (SATA 6Gb/s) 265MB/sec (SATA
      3Gb/s)
    * *Sequential Access - Write:* 215MB/sec (SATA 6Gb/s) 215MB/sec
      (SATA 3Gb/s)
    * *Power Consumption (Active):* 2.1W READ, 4.3W WRITE
    * *Power Consumption (Idle):* 0.094W

Running it on an Asus motherboard that supports SATA III - 6 core AMD
CPU and 16 gigs of ram. Might be slightly off topic but this server screams!